As part of the body of Christ, the First Presbyterian Church family is called together to worship God, to nurture one another, to discover together where God is leading us, to plan effectively how to carry out the ministry and mission of Jesus Christ to the best of our ability. Our outreach is to our families, our church, our community, and to all the world. Amen.
Statement of Faith
What We Believe
Statement of Faith – First Presbyterian Church, Fernandina Beach, Florida
(Adopted – July 25, 2011)
The core beliefs in this faith statement are the central tenets of the Reformed Christian faith as proclaimed in the witness of Scripture.
1. The Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament are the uniquely revealed and infallible Word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, and is exemplified through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Scriptures are the church’s first and final authority in all areas of faith and life including, but not limited to theological doctrine, mission, church order, character, and ethical behavior.
2. There is one Holy, true, merciful and loving God, who exists in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He alone is worthy of all praise, honor, and glory. In sovereign love, God created the world, proclaiming it good, and made everyone equally in his image, male and female. He rules over His creation with absolute power and authority.
3. Jesus Christ alone is Lord of all and the only way to salvation. Through his son, Jesus Christ, God saved us by grace through faith. Our salvation is based on our faith in Jesus Christ and his sacrifice for us, on our accepting the true message of salvation and our trust in God to apply this salvation to us.
4. Anything that separates us from God is sin. From the beginning, we have rebelled against God and violated the image of God in ourselves, in others, and in the earth. All people are sinful and need to repent of their sins and turn to God. God came to this earth in human form for each of us. We are reconciled to God through the life, suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus sacrificed his life so that we could be forgiven and freed from sin and death and have eternal life in heaven.
5. Jesus is the head of the church and the fundamental difference that separates us from other religions. Our purpose is to glorify, worship, honor, and serve God. The people of God are called to seek justice and live in obedience to the Word of God, thereby transforming the world around us. We are called to follow Christ’s command to love all people. Since all are sinners and fall short of the glory of God, all are welcome to join in worship and fellowship in His church. Christ also calls us to go into all the world to make disciples of all nations in preparation for His coming again.
6. God’s people are called to Holiness in all aspects of life and should not be compromised by ethics drawn from a changing culture. Those God calls to serve the church as teachers, elders, deacons, and pastors are expected to lead a life of obedience consistent with the standards defined in Scripture, and First Presbyterian Church will uphold all these standards.