Presbyterian Women at First Presbyterian Church.
The women of First Presbyterian Church, Fernandina Beach, have a strong leadership team and six circles that meet the second week of the month in the homes of members or at the church. We support the mission of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and other local, national, and international missions. Our PW unit is also actively involved in hands-on mission work within our own community.
2013 Moderator – Jane Dickison
2013 Vice-Moderator – Jane Marmontello
- Elizabeth Circle – 2nd Thursday at 10:00 am in Jim Thomas Hall. 2012-2013 Study: Horizons – Dispatches to God’s Household: The General Epistles
- Esther Circle – 2nd Thursday at 12:30 pm in members’ homes. 2012-2013 Study: John Ortberg – Everyone is Normal Until You Get to Know Them
- Hannah Circle – 2nd Wednesday at 6:15 pm in Faith & Friends Classroom. 2012-2013 Study: Women of the New Testament – Strong Was Her Faith
- Lydia Circle - 2nd Wednesday at 6:15 pm in Faith Cafe Classroom. 2012-2013 Study: Cynthia Heald – Becoming a Woman of Faith
- Martha Circle – 2nd Wednesday at 10:00 am in the church parlor. 2012-2013 Study: Book of James: Working Out Your Faith
- Ruth Circle – 2nd Thursday at 10:00 am in members’ homes. 2012-2013 Study: Book of John – Encounters with God
All women of the church are Presbyterian Women and do not need to be a member of a circle to participate in any of the activities, including the Prayer Shawl Ministry, mission opportunities, and special events. For information about any of the programs of PW, or if you are interested in being a part of a circle, please contact the church office or Jane Dickison.
Prayer Shawl Ministry
A Prayer Shawl Ministry was introduced to the First Presbyterian congregation in January 2010. Women of the church gather twice a month to knit and crochet prayer shawls for people who are ill, grieving, or in some way in need of a special blessing. The prayer shawls are available through the pastors, deacons or one of the shawl crafters.
Interested needle workers are encouraged to join the group in Jim Thomas Hall at 9:30 a.m. on the first Monday and third Friday of each month.
Bag Ladies for Micah’s Place
Presbyterian Women began a new ministry in 2010, providing welcome bags for the children of Micah’s Place. When families arrive at this local shelter for victims of domestic violence, they often have left home with just the barest necessities. The Bag Ladies of PW fill bags (decorated by the children of our church) with books, flashlights, hygiene items, coloring books and crayons, a pillow, a stuffed animal, and other items that might make a child feel more welcome in the new surroundings. The PW Circles will collect items for the bags throughout the year.
Fourth Thursday of the Month 9:00 am at Old Yulee Middle School
In partnership with the Barnabas Center, the Council on Aging, and the Coalition for the Homeless, Presbyterian Women bake desserts for homebound seniors in our community. These desserts are part of a meal that are delivered to people eligible for Meals on Wheels program but are unable to be served because of inadequate agency funding.